Are you an MVLS volunteer attorney helping a client in a county that uses Maryland Electronic Courts (MDEC)? As MDEC is rolled out county by county, we want to make sure all MVLS volunteer attorneys are up to speed on how to use MDEC to electronically submit filing fee waivers.
Current counties in which MDEC is filing:
Anne Arundel, Calvert, Caroline, Cecil, Charles, Dorchester, Kent, Queen Anne’s, St. Mary’s, Somerset, Talbot, Wicomico, and Worcester. On October 16, 2017, Alleghany, Frederick, Garett and Washington will also join MDEC.
For counties using MDEC, attorneys are required to utilize e-filing instead of paper submissions.
To file a filing fee waiver through e-filing, it requires that the attorney set up a second payment form on their account. Below are the steps to do that.
1. Log into your MDEC account (if you do not have one, please create one)
2. Select “Filer Dashboard”
3. Click “Actions” drop down menu from the right-side of the page
4. Select “Payment Accounts”
5. On the “Payment Accounts” page, select “Add Payment Account”
6. Under “Payment Account Name” please enter “MLSC Waiver”
7. Under “Payment Account Type,” select “Waiver”
8. The new payment account is created and available for e-filing.
9. This is the payment account you will select any time you are filing a MVLS case.
10. You still will need to electronically file form CC-DC-088 statement in support of waiver of prepaid costs by clerk in the case.
These instructions are also available on our Attorney Resources page. For further instruction on filing expungement using MDEC, take a look at our step-by-step guide here. If you have any questions or experience any issues with the filing fee waiver, please contact Susan Francis at firstname.lastname@example.org or 443-451-4084.